Sunday, February 8, 2015

YA REVIEW: THE WALLED CITY



Looking for something other than your basic young adult dystopians? Look no further! The Walled City by Ryan Graudin Is a fast-paced, gripping novel based off a real walled city that used to exist in Hong Kong. Written from three interwoven stories, Ryan uses brilliant writing to grab you by the wrist and drag you off into this story filled with family, love, and sacrifice.

The story follows three teenagers, all trying to live different lives inside the walled city that is filled with poverty, crime, and brothels that basically own the city.
The relationships between Jin, Mei Yee, and Dai felt so real that it was like I was running right alongside them. Everyone was different, with their own hardships to go through, and I feel like they made this story into the brilliance that is it! 

Going into this novel I was not expecting to like it as much as I did. I was also not prepared for it to go in the direction it ended up taking. The Walled City is very dark but still had lots of funny dialogue between some of the characters. The tone is, like I said, a lot darker than I expected but I think that with a topic like this, you need to go all in or it won’t work. And I think Ryan made this story work perfectly! 

The book is divided into days, making it a piece of cake to just fly through, staying up until the wee hours of the morning saying that line I know every book lover has said, “Just one more chapter!” I am still blown away by the amazing writing and I can’t wait to read more of Ryan’s work. I was completely engrossed in this book until the last page and I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a darker dystopian-feel type novel. And the best part is, it’s a stand-alone! No need for trilogies because this novel wraps it all into one action-packed story! If you are at all interested in this book I definitely suggest you give it a shot because I can assure you, you won’t be let down! 

Jordan Teasdale is a Grade 11 student who has been reading since her mom first dropped the Harry Potter books into her hands. Her love for reading has only grown from there. She blogs at covertoocover.wordpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment