Sunday, March 8, 2015

REVIEW: LACY EYE


Each time I read a book to review, I simply can’t believe my luck. The books that have been published this year are all so incredible, especially Lacy Eye. It only took me a couple of days to read because I could not put it down! I was almost late to work one day because I was up reading this book until 2:00am. Jessica Treadway's novel follows Hanna Schutt, a woman who was in a terrible attack which killed her husband. The main suspect is her daughter Dawn’s boyfriend. But the question on everyone’s mind is: was Dawn somehow involved with the death of her father?
 

The characters in Lacy Eye are all very realistic, and make choices that can be frustrating to the reader but understandable at the same time. I think this is part of what makes this book so enjoyable. The book is told from Hanna’s perspective, and goes back and forth between before the murder and after. The way this was done reminded me very much of the film We Need To Talk About Kevin, where the mother is reflecting on her child’s upbringing and trying to determine where/if something went wrong.
 

The suspense that Treadway puts into every page of her novel astounds me. I wish every author had that ability to make a reader linger on every sentence. This is Treadway’s first novel; she has written many short stories in the past, but I think her transition to novels was a brilliantly executed. To anyone who loves a suspenseful novel, Lacy Eye is for you.

Wesley Wilson is a zoology student at the University of Guelph and works on campus at a microbiology lab. When Wesley isn’t studying away, she spends most of her time reading. Anna Karenina is her favourite book, but she enjoys reading a variety of different genres.

No comments:

Post a Comment